Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Little Courage


Courage has been a reoccuring theme in my life lately. (yes, my own need to change but..) I'm not talking about the, "have the chutzpah to chase your heart's desire" kind of courage but the kind that requires you to take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other and keep moving. "The sometimes even to live is an act of courage" kind.


A few weeks ago, I was made aware that one of my favorite past co-workers (who is not much older than I) was diagnosed with cancer. Her spirit kicks ass to some of the best and her sense of wit and humor is infectious.


I contacted other co-workers for her address so that I could get something in the mail. Her reply was, "She'd love to hear from you. Just keep it positive." My response, "I know nothing but."
(For the record, I have not ever fought for my life so I'm not sure the kind of courage this requires.)

I only know that I believe I would need to keep my spirit, my mind, and my hand busy provided I was feeling up to it. I put together the little care package above (the card is mine too).

(BTW, she is a crafty soul. If you are thinking, "This chick wants her to fold paper when she's in the middle of killing cancer cells?)
-A feel better "Fortune Cookie"......
-A notebook
-Some paper cranes I folded just for her. (With the instructions on how to do and why, pre cut squares, and instructions to make her visitors help.)
-A mini-dream board for her to see her future...it exists.

I do not have the power to heal. I do not have the power to invoke courage for others. It's in us all-the power is ours.

I am the last person to be preaching on courage. I'm a scaredy cat that wears pants.

Others would disagree. Being an amputee creates this thought from others that you are amazing, that you are an inspiration. None of this is the case-there is no other choice than to continue to get up each morning and live.



This scaredy cat that wears pants needs motivation...I have the above print in my studio.

So paper crane wish #3 goes to Rach for obvious reasons. So that she fights and sees the future with herself in it.

#4,5, and 6 for everyone else who needs the courage-any kind.

Top on my list of favorite movies is "Princess Diaries" in which Amelia's father tells her that,

"Courage is not the absence of fear but the thought that something is more important than fear.

No comments: