Monday, November 16, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees

Book Junkie, yes. 50% of personal purchases are made on some type of reading material. I select by title, by cover art, by flipping through the first chapter and reading a bit, by the "summary" on the back cover.

I've picked up "The Secret Life of Bees" a few times and have always placed it back and selected a different book.

I was thrifting the other day and came across the book again. Ok, yes.

I know a book is good for me when I want to reread it again, with a highlighter.

I won't spoil it but it left me obsessed in some strange way with Mary. The Mother of God-Mary.

This quote from the book sums it up better:

"When you're unsure of yourself...when you start pulling back into doubt and small living, she's the one inside saying, 'Get up from there and live like the glorious girl you are.' She's the power inside you, you understand? And whatever it is that keeps widening your heart, that's Mary, too, not only the power inside you but the love. And when you get down to it, Lily, that's the only purpose grand enough for a human life. Not just to love--but to PERSIST in love." (August Boatwright, p. 289)

(I'm adding this book to my "church's" required reading list..that particular discussion was way back here..)

I struggle with my own internal power and using it. Big on anything that motivates that power to move outward.

A customer stopped in the shop last week to chat and she had this (or something like it)on. I wanted one in the worst way. I told her my latest obsession and even borrowed her my thrifted copy of the book.

Well, the bracelets, I found. Math was never a strong thing for me, I only wanted 12. I got 12 dozen. I'm going to chalk this up as something other than an addition error.


Guess where they'll be? At the shop, for sale. Ready to remind you..ahem, it's in there.
Leave me a comment, and I'll randomly select one and send them their very own Mary bracelet.

No comments: